Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

Freedom of movement visa for up to 90 days


This information sheet only applies to visa applications at the visa section in Erbil.

If you are a family member (e.g. spouse, registered partner, child – further cases must be verified by the visa section first) of a (living) citizen of one of the following states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland (hereinafter referred to as EU/EEA/Swiss citizens) – please note that this list does not include Germany


you and the EU/EEA/Swiss citizen are planning a primarily joint stay in Germany (i. e. to create family unity), e. g. you are accompanying the EU/EEA/Swiss citizen on a business trip then the special provisions of the law on freedom of movement apply to you.


Please provide a fully completed and signed application form (sections 34 and 35 of the application are particularly important) as well as a declaration in accordance with section 54 of the Residence Act.
In the application form (VIDEX) you state alle details concerning your travel connections and your stay in Germany. You are asked to fill out the form electronically, print it, sing it and bring the print-out with you to the application center.


The visa section dissuades from making use of the assistance of visa agencies for filling out the form! This might cause false or incomplete data in your application form which might result again in a rejection in the worst case.

1 passport photo, max. six months old (3,5 x 4,5 cm with bright background)

Further information can be found here.

1 copy of a valid passport and a copy of the data page. The passport has to be signed and shall contain at least two blank pages, shall have been issued withhin the previous 10 years and its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Member state.

valid identity card and/or residence permit and 1 copy

Proof of your residence in Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI) and 1 copy

Passport of the EU/EEA/Swiss citizen (original and 1 copy of the data page)

1 copy of proof of residence of the EU/EEA/Swiss citizen

Proof of relationship (e. g. wedding or birth certificate), original and 1 copy

Family register extract (max. six months old) certified by DFR (original and 1 copy)

Proof of the primarily plannes joint stay in Germany
If a primarily joint stay is not plannes (e. g. the Iraqi family member is travelling to Germany for a business trp but the Italian spouse will remail in Iraq), a Schengen visa, for which a fee is charged, must be solicited

If a primarily joint stay is not planned (e.g. the Iraqi family member is traveling to Germany for a business trip but the French spouse will remain in Iraq), a Schengen visa, for which a fee is charged, must be solicited (see Information sheet no. 1). If a stay lasting over 90 days in Germany is planned and the traveller is not joining an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, a national visa must be applied for.

Visa fees

The visa for free movement is free of cost.


On request via our contact form or by post, you will immediately receive an appointment at the visa office. Fingerprints must be submitted.

Disclaimer: All information is based on the knowledge and experience of the diplomatic missions abroad at the time of writing. However, no guarantee can be given for the completeness and correctness; no legal claims can be derived from this information sheet.

nach oben